English | Gaeilge | Polski
OPW Logo
Bottom Curve

Who can help?

There are a number of different organisations that can help in a flood

We have listed a number of different organisations that can help in a flood below. Keep these numbers handy so that you can get them easily in an emergency. Although every effort is made to ensure the reliability of listed sites this cannot be taken as an endorsement of these sites.


Useful contact numbers:


Emergency number

999 or 112
Ask for the emergency service you require:

  • Ambulance
  • Gardaí
  • Lifeboat
  • Mountain/Coastal rescue
  • Fire Brigade
  • Irish Coast Guard
  • Other

Give the address or location where help is required. Be as precise as possible.

Health Services 1800 520 520
Water 1890 202 021 / 1890 200 191
Electricity 1850 372 999
Gas 1850 20 50 50
Telephone Eircom : 1901

EsatBT : 1800 924 924
Local Authority Local Authorities
Building Control Officers Building Control Officers
Structural Engineer / surveyor Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland - 642 5588
Department of Social Community & Family Affairs 1890 50 00 00
Department of the Environment 1890 20 20 21
Office of Public Works

Email: info@opw.ie




When claiming for flood damage on your insurance remember the do’s and don’ts below:

  • Do telephone your insurance company’s 24 hour emergency helpline to get the process started as soon as possible.
  • Do commission immediate emergency pumping and repair work to protect your property from further damage.
  • Do get advice from your insurance company on reputable contractors and builders.
  • Do check with your insurer if you have to move into alternative accommodation, as this is often covered by your policy.
  • Do make sure your insurance company knows where to contact you if you have to move out of your home.
  • Do keep an inventory of all your correspondence with your insurance company.
  • Don’t begin any work without the approval of your insurance company.

Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Goverment - Local
- to check your own Local Authority Local Authorities


Building Control Officers in each Local Authority can provide advice and guidance on ensuring that any works planned to be carried out will comply with the building regulations - Technical Guidance Documents A-M Building Control Officers
Local Authorities may provide advice on drains and drainage in your area, and whether roads are flooded etc.


Met Eireann - www.met.ie


National Flood Hazard Mapping - www.floodmaps.ie


Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland (ACEI) - For advice on
structural surveys. For a directory of ACEI structural Engineers see
website www.acei.ie

Comhairle, Hume House, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 (Agency responsible
for the provision of information , advice to the public on social and
civil services) 6059000

Flooding facts

Flood water can move manhole and drain covers, creating invisible dangers.